Pre-Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Fall home maintenance checklist:
- Check, clean and vacuum lint and dust from your dryer vent, air-conditioner, stove hood, room fans, baseboard heaters and cold-air returns. Keep your heating and cooling vents free from obstructions such as furniture and draperies.
- Check your crawlspace for standing water, mold — and wildlife.
- Secure, replace and/or repaint any siding or trim that needs it; replace or repair damaged bricks and mortar. Also make sure your outdoor electrical receptacles are watertight.
- Have your heating system inspected and/or serviced — whether it’s a furnace, fireplace or space heater — and change the filters. Check pilot lights and burners, look for gas leaks and make sure there is adequate ventilation.
- Have your fireplace flue and liners cleaned to prevent creosote buildup.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts, and make sure they’re securely attached. Your roof should be watertight, too. Look for missing, cracked or loose shingles; gaps in the flashing where the roofing and siding meet; and damaged mortar around the chimney.
- Paint inside while you can still leave the windows open for ventilation — same for shampooing or replacing carpets.
- Insulate, weatherstrip and caulk before cold weather comes. Replace or add to existing insulation. Caulk exterior joints around windows, doors, utility-line entrances and vents.
Source: N.C. Cooperative Extension